It’s not difficult to delete a custom dimension in Google Analytics 4. (In the GA4 dashboard, you actually “archive” custom dimensions, but it’s the same function as deleting.)
Just make sure you no longer need the data associated with it, because once your custom dimension is gone, you can’t get it back. You would have to make a new one and begin collecting data from scratch, even if you recreate it exactly the same.
Here’s why you might want to delete a custom dimension from your dashboard, and instructions on how to do it.
Reasons To Delete a GA4 Custom Dimension
There are three reasons you might want to delete a custom dimension:
- The parameter associated with the custom dimension no longer exists
- The data generated by the custom dimension is no longer relevant to your analysis
- You have reached your maximum limit of custom dimensions and need to make room to create a new dimension in GA4
How To Delete a Custom Dimension
To delete a GA4 custom dimension, you actually archive it. It has the same function, but a different name.
Here are the steps to delete a custom dimension:
1. Go to your Google Analytics 4 dashboard
2. Click Configure in the left sidebar menu
3. Click the Custom dimensions tab (next to Custom metrics)
4. Click the three vertical dots at the far right side of the row the corresponds to the custom dimension you want to edit
5. Click Archive
6. Click Archive again on the popup
There’s no turning back once you do this!
If you have completed this process, your custom dimension no longer exists, nor does data that was associated with it.